If Game Board
Students make conditional sentences using "If.." and prompts on a game board. A speaking activity using the first conditional.
Grammar: First Conditional
Time: 30 minutes
- Make one copy of the Game Board for each group.
Students get into groups of 4 or 5 people.
Give one game board to each group.
Ask students to get two coins for their group, and a space marker for each person.
How to use the coins:
Heads, heads = move 1
Tails, tails = move 2
Heads, tails = move 3
Students put their space markers on Start. The first student flips the two coins, moves the corresponding number of spaces on the game board, and follows the instructions.
- Prompt = make a conditional sentence starting with "If..." and the prompt on the game board. Finish the sentence.
For example: I study hard
If I study hard, I will pass the test.
- Arrow = answer the question, then follow the arrow to jump ahead on the game board.
- Go again = flip the coins again and move the corresponding number of spaces.
- Go ahead = move the designated number of spaces forward on the board game.
- Go back = move the designated number of spaces backward on the board game.
- Miss a turn = wait for your next turn.
Students continue taking turns. The first student to reach Finish is the winner.
This Activity is also available here: