Lesson 3: UK Geography & History, Part 2
Identify characteristics of Republicans and Loyalists in Northern Ireland. Identify important dates in UK history.
Topic: UK geography and history
Time: 90 minutes
- Identify characteristics of Republicans and Loyalists in Northern Ireland.
- Identify important dates in UK history.
- Students work in groups to discuss characteristics and report to the class what they found.
- Students make a timeline and present it to the class.
- Make one copy of the British History Timeline for the teacher.
Warm up (15 minutes)
- Ask students to get a partner and discuss the topic for about 5 minutes.
- “What do England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland have in common? How is each country different?”
- Ask the students to volunteer answers and discuss as a class.
Republicans and Loyalists (20 minutes)
- Ask students to get into groups of 4 or 5 people. Each person in the group should take a role. If there are only 4 people in a group, then the Facilitator can also keep track of time.
- Facilitator: leads the group discussion
- Note-taker: write things down as needed
- Reporter: presents information to the class
- English monitor: makes sure everyone is speaking English
- Time keeper: keeps track of how much time is remaining for an activity
- “Who are the republicans and the loyalists in Northern Ireland? What do they believe? What is the present situation?”
- Give the students around 10 minutes to list characteristics.
- Elicit answers from the groups to fill in a chart on the board.
|Want to unite Ireland
||Want to remain part of UK
|Consider themselves Irish
||Consider themselves British
|1/3 of population
||2/3 of population
Q&A (10 minutes)
- Ask the students to look at their homework questions and/or responses to ask additional questions about the unit.
Timeline (35 minutes)
- Ask the students to create a timeline of 10 significant points in UK history. Give about 15 minutes for students to choose 10 points.
- Ask reporters to explain to the class why their group chose the 10 points.
UK Presentation Topic Selection (10 minutes)
- Ask the students to write the letters of their top 3 choices in order from #1 to #3. Collect the papers.
- A: Literature
- B: Education
- C: Media
- D: Sports
- E: Holidays & Festivals
- Read unit 3 and write 3 questions and/or responses.
This Activity is also available here: