Persuasive Speech Assignment
Students prepare and deliver a persuasive speech about a topic of their choice. Includes assignment, sample speech topics, and evaluation forms.
Topic: Persuasive speech
- Make one copy of Persuasive Speech Assignment for each student.
- Make one copy of Persuasive Speech Topics for the teacher.
- Make one copy of Peer Evaluation Form for each student.
- Make one copy of Oral Presentation Rubric for the teacher.
- Make one copy of Self Evaluation Form for each student.
Pass out the Persuasive Speech Assignment to each student. Read the assignment together as a class and answer any questions.
Ask students to choose a topic for their speech. Allow students to choose a topic from the Persuasive Speech Topics handout or their own topic.
Pass out the Peer Evaluation Form to each student. The audience’s task is to watch each speech and give an evaluation. Speakers are evaluated on their posture, eye contact, gestures, and voice. After each speech, the audience should ask the speaker questions.
For the teacher: Use the Oral Presentation Rubric to evaluate the students’ speeches.
Collect the peer evaluations. Spread them around the room for students to read.
Assign one or two students to keep track of time during the speeches. The students can hold up cards that say 3 minutes and 4 minutes.
Pass out the Self Evaluation Form to each student. Students reflect about their presentation and think about what they can do better next time.