Past Snakes And Ladders
Students play a snakes and ladders board game, and make past sentences using game cards.
Grammar: Past simple
Time: 30 minutes
- Make one copy Game Board for each group.
- Make one copy of the Conversation Cards for each group, and cut as indicated.
Students get into groups of 4 or 5 people.
Give one Game Board and one set of Conversation Cards to each group. Ask the students to put the cards face down.
Ask students to get two coins for their group, and a space marker for each person.
How to use the coins:
Heads, heads = move 1
Tails, tails = move 2
Heads, tails = move 3
Students put their space markers on Start. The first student flips the coins, moves the corresponding number of spaces on the game board, and follows the instructions.
- Head of the snake = move to the tail of the snake
- Bottom of the ladder = move to the top of the ladder
- Starred space = take a card from the pile and answer the question using a past tense verb.
For example: What did you have for breakfast today?
I had/ate eggs and toast.
Students continue taking turns. The first student to reach Finish is the winner.
This Activity is also available here: